Studies show that reading with young children is the single most important thing adults can do to get those children ready for kindergarten. The 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun way to develop early literacy skills, help your child develop the all-important love of reading, and create lasting memories.
Sign up today!
- Stop by your favorite Akron-Summit County Public Library location to sign up.
- Get your reading log and learn how to use your library card reading history.
- If you can’t visit the library, download a reading log or start keeping track of the books you read on a calendar, in a notebook, or whatever is easiest for you.
- Visit the library after every 100 book milestone for a small prize to recognize your child’s progress.
- Any book that is read to your child counts. That includes books in preschool, library story time, or that favorite you read repeatedly.
- Look for some new books to try out! Check out these suggestions.
- Every 50 books = I read 50 more sticker
- 100 books = mood pencil
- 200 books = book bag
- 300 books = book mark
- 400 books = window cling
- 500 books = book (half way point)
- 600 books = picture frame magnet
- 700 books = Royal Reader crown
- 800 books = Super reader cape
- 900 books = book plate for favorite library book
- 1000 books = stuffed lion with T-shirt
At every 100 books, there will be an opportunity to have a picture taken and posted to the branch Facebook page.
Questions? Give us a call at 330-643-9050!