Published: September 24, 2019
The Akron Marathon will take place on Saturday, September 28. Main Library will open at 12:30 p.m. and Highland Square Branch Library will open at NOON.
The late opening will help library customers avoid traffic disruptions in the downtown Akron and Highland Square area that are anticipated with the FirstEnergy Akron Marathon, Half Marathon & Team Relay.
There are a number of road closures around Main Library for the Akron Marathon. The ones that directly impact Main Library are:
- W. Market St. (eastbound lanes only) Between N. Portage Path and S. Main St. 8:10 a.m. – 11:20 a.m. (Both locations)
- N. Portage Path Between Sunnyside and W. Market St. 7:15 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. (Highland Square Branch)
- S. Main St Between W. Market St and Bowery St 8:20-11:30 a.m.
- S. Main St. Between Bowery St. and State St. 8:20 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- N. Main St. (southbound lanes only) Between MLK (59) and E. Cuyahoga Falls Ave *Includes All-American Bridge Southbound 8:20 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- N. Main St. (northbound lanes only) Between E. York St. and MLK (59) *Includes All-American Bridge Northbound 8:30 a.m. – 11:40 a.m. S. Broadway St Between MLK (59) and University Ave 8:35 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Please use these links to see maps of the Marathon routes, which should be helpful as you plan your trip to Main Library or Highland Square on September 28.