1) Build a capable and proud team who enthusiastically provide excellent services, programs, and resources to the community.
- Institute an annual employee survey that measures the level of employee satisfaction.
- Plan, design, and implement a comprehensive staff training program that emphasizes effective teamwork.
- Educate all staff on the library’s mission, core values and pursuit of goals and objectives.
- Expand and enhance new staff orientation.
- Develop an enhanced employee recognition program.
- Introduce a system-wide staff wellness initiative.
2) Involve staff in decision-making, creative problem-solving, and innovation at all levels of the organization.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive leadership and management training program that emphasizes inclusion of staff and increased communication.
- Develop and implement a training program for all staff in how to effectively participate in decision making and utilize creative problem solving techniques.
- Implement a schedule of structured, required, regular meetings for managers and staff at all levels.
- Provide regular opportunities for staff involvement in work teams and task forces that address specific issues.
- Establish an ongoing mechanism for monitoring and reporting on trends and issues in libraries and in society.
3) Hold all administrators, managers, and staff accountable for their roles in supporting the Library’s mission, core values, and pursuit of goals and objectives.
- Engage in a renewed emphasis on the performance review process.
- Revise/condense performance review tool.
- Provide training on conducting performance reviews.
- Require all managers at all levels to conduct timely and regular performance reviews.
- Revise/implement employee handbook
- Communicate changes to all staff and train managers to implement.
4) Recruit, retain and compensate staff competitively.
- Review/revise job descriptions to reflect changing responsibilities.
- Review/revise job classifications and grade levels and titles for all staff.
- Review/revise overall compensation strategy and current pay structure.
- Conduct a market-based job classification study.
- Engage in regular and on-going communication with staff about employee benefits.
- Explore creating more opportunities for advancement in the organization.
1) Provide excellent customer service that leaves every customer with a lasting positive impression of the library.
- Conduct regular customer surveys that measure levels of customer satisfaction.
- Review/revise existing policy and procedural manual.
- Establish an on-going Customer Service Team to provide system-wide, staff-driven awareness of excellent customer service.
- Review/revise customer service standards.
- Develop and engage in system-wide customer service training for new and existing staff.
- Examine customer service complaints and engage with managers and staff in pursuit of excellence.
- Consistently enforce customer code of conduct.
2) Provide compelling collections, programs, and services that are convenient for customers to find and enjoy.
- Establish and achieve target turnover rates for all areas of the collection.
- Investigate the most convenient options for book returns at all branches.
- Explore possibility of increasing hours of operation at all locations.
- Investigate benefits of centralized selection and floating collections.
- Explore possibility of offering more predictable children’s programming at all locations.
- Develop and implement a system-wide programming plan.
- Task force to examine staffing issues, funding, training, trends, and community needs.
- Review existing security policies to ensure safety and security of library customers, staff, and resources.
3) Use current and innovative information/communications technology to provide access to services, resources, and programs.
- Significantly increase bandwidth available to all locations.
- Ensure that public and staff computers are up-to-date with the most current software.
- Create Internet access policy/procedures task force.
- Engage in campaign to collect customer e-mail address for communicating notices, holds, and library news.
- Explore use of podcasts, RSS feeds, Wikis, blogs, streaming video, downloadable video and institute as appropriate.
- Make a self-check unit available at all branch locations.
- Investigate use of Instant Messaging for reference service.
- Develop more interactive services available through the library’s website.
- Revise library website to reflect latest advances in accessibility technology.
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
1) Reach and influence the entire community through the library’s vision, services, programs, and resources.
- Evaluate and monitor effectiveness of Library communication tools such as ShelfLife and the library website.
- Develop an overall Library awareness campaign.
- Develop underwriting messages with broadcast media to enforce Library’s presence and key library messages.
- Enhance relationships with editors of daily and weekly newspapers.
- Explore broader and different methods of distribution of library print information that promote programs and services.
- Explore expanded use of broadcast and cable media for promoting library programs and services.
- Evaluate signage throughout system.
- Investigate use of technological marketing tools such as RSS feeds, e-mail notification, and text messaging.
- Identify and brand on-going system-wide programs and develop supporting campaigns.
- Seek efficiencies in production of publications.
- Reinvigorate and promote the library Speakers’ Bureau.
- Work closely with Friends groups as key ambassadors to promote the Library’s message.
2) Provide all employees with essential information that enables them to act in support of the library’s mission, core values, goals, and objectives.
- Conduct an internal communications audit and implement any needed changes.
- Develop staff website more fully as a resource for information.
- Develop staff as an on-going vehicle for marketing and promoting library programs and resources.
o Design and implement staff training in communications.
- Develop and implement structured mechanisms for communication between administrators and managers, between administrators and staff, and between managers and staff.
o Provide regular updates on the implementation of the strategic plan.
o Marketing staff attends regular meetings of managers to provide needed information.
1) Promote each facility as a primary community gathering place for cultural, informational, and recreational meetings and events.
- Review meeting room policies.
- Design a plan to encourage community groups to use library meeting facilities.
- Partner with Friends groups to support library services and programs to the community.
- Continue and expand relationships with all local schools in our service area.
- Use community group meetings as a vehicle for promoting library services, programs, and resources.
2) Demonstrate leadership through collaboration with other organizations to maximize community resources and improve the quality of life for our residents.
- In conjunction with Friends’ groups, all agencies to identify and initiate contact with community organizations for potential collaboration and partnerships.
- Attend and participate in meetings and efforts of community organizations throughout our service area.
- Develop promotional partnerships with community organizations and agencies.
FUNDING & BUDGET
1) Manage and allocate financial resources to provide excellent, efficient services and facilities that are sustainable from year to year.
- Provide regular training and information to staff on budget and funding topics to increase awareness.
- To provide more print, audio, and video for customers, increase Materials (4000s) portion of General Fund to 15% of total expenditures.
- To fairly compensate staff but also control growth in personnel-related line items of the budget, maintain Salaries/Benefits (1000s) portion of General Fund between 50% and 60% of total expenditures.
- To take vigilant care of the public investment in our new facilities, maintain Line Item 3310 Building and Site Repair in General Fund as at least 1.5% of total expenditures.
2) Develop alternative funding opportunities to increase the Library’s long-term financial stability
- Develop a comprehensive fund-raising plan that seeks gifts, donations, grants and other sources to complement levy funds.
- Explore establishing a library foundation.
- Work with Friends’ group to develop objectives for local branch library and system wide needs and to explore additional sources of revenue.