Tallmadge History Digital Exhibit

Establishing & Growing Tallmadge


Click image for enlarged view

Description
In the summer of 1875, two of the grandsons of Rev. David Bacon, both Congregational clergymen, Theodore Woolsey Bacon and David Bacon, came from the East coast and selected a boulder for this monument to their grandfather. They had it engraved with the following statement as a memorial to him and the founding of the Church:

Here the First Church in Tallmadge was gathered in the House of Rev. David Bacon, January 22, 1809.

The monument was placed and formally dedicated on June 2, 1881.  The site was later annexed by Akron.  The Akron City Council designated the area surrounding the memorial as David Bacon Park.

Title: Bacon Monument

Author/Creator: Theodore & David Bacon

Date: 1907

Related Information: Lawrence Collection

Size: 5 x 3 inches

Subjects:
Monuments and Memorials-Tallmadge
Bacon, David
Bacon, Theodore Woolsey

Source: baconmonument.tiff

<< Previous Next >>