Branches & Mobile Services
From 1910 to 1920 Akron’s population tripled. Along with this increase in residents came a greater demand for library services. The first branch library was established in 1920 in one of the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company factory buildings. The space, furnishings, and a small collection of books were provided by Harvey Firestone, Senior. The Library provided additional books and a librarian. In 1922, Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company rented a room in the Goodyear Club House on Goodyear Boulevard for the establishment of the East Branch Library.
Between 1923 and 1938 nine additional branch libraries were opened, and, in 1939, East Branch, the first branch building constructed by the Library was dedicated. Over the ensuing decades more branches were established and new buildings constructed. The 1997 bond issue passed by Summit County voters has allowed for the replacement or renovation of all branch libraries.