This summer, the Akron-Summit County Public Library is bringing the Great Lakes to downtown Akron! Join us on Saturday, July 16 at Main from 12 pm to 3 pm to hear tales of piracy, paranormality, and natural calamity.
Are you a Great Lakes trivia buff? Test your knowledge of the Great Lakes with our quiz below!
- Who is the only man to be formally charged with piracy on the Great Lakes?
- Jack Rackman
- James J Strang
- Dan Seavey
- None - there were no pirates on the Great Lakes.
- The “Lake _______ Triangle” is an area, like the infamous Bermuda Triangle, where mysterious disappearances, temporal anomalies, and extraterrestrial sightings have occurred.
- South Bay Bessie, the most famous of the Great Lakes’ lake monsters, has had many sightings in which Great Lake?
- The sinking of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald in 1975, inspired which of the following?
- A hit song.
- A yearly memorial observance.
- Conspiracy theories.
- All of the above!
- The Ohio & Erie Canal was built in 1825 and destroyed by the Great Flood of 1913. Which southern Ohio city connects the canal to the Ohio River? (Hint: Cleveland links Lake Erie to the canal)
Learn more about the Great Lakes with titles from our collection:
By Christina Labib,
Adult Services Librarian, Business, Government & Science
Published: June 28, 2022