Solicitation of Funds Policy
Solicitation of funds to support the mission and objectives of the Akron-Summit County Public Library is the province of the Board of Trustees. At their discretion the board may choose to delegate this responsibility to the Librarian-Director.
An organization funded by tax revenues must approach the decision to solicit funds with caution. In general the solicitation of funds should meet system-wide purposes such as developing or expanding library collections or services, and supporting activities of a system-wide nature.
Only the Board of Trustees may initiate the solicitation of corporations, branches of national companies or local franchises of national firms. Therefore, if a corporation or national organization offers gifts of significant value to an individual library agency, the company representative should be referred to the library administration who will determine the conditions under which the gift will be accepted.
Most of the ongoing activities of library agencies are supported through the library operating budget. The General Fund provides monies for refreshments, prizes, and entertainment for normal library programs. Occasionally, however, an individual agency may want to seek additional funds to underwrite a special event at the library. When a library agency determines the need to solicit additional funds, it must follow these rules and regulations:
- Solicitations should be considered in order to provide an unusual program or develop a new activity. Generally, it should not be made to further a regular, ongoing program such as a story hour, travel talks, or film program.
- All such solicitations must be discussed prior to any action by the agency head with the appropriate General Manager and the Librarian-Assistant Director.
- Items solicited must be appropriate to the age group of library users for whom they are solicited. Further, no library agency will solicit gifts of liquor, tobacco, firearms, religious or political items.
- Library agencies should limit their solicitations to local businesses.
- In making solicitations, the library agency may offer the group or individual solicited the right to have a statement of support included on flyers and posters for the event. If refreshments are involved, a sign acknowledging the gift may be included on the refreshment table. No other agreement can be made in order to conclude the solicitation.
Approved by the Board of Trustees on March, 1994 (Revised for title changes January, 2002)