The Akron Marathon will take place on Saturday, September 23 and both Main Library and Highland Square Branch will open at 12:00 noon instead of 10 a.m. that day.
The late opening will help library customers avoid traffic disruptions near Main Library and the Highland Square Branch that are anticipated with the First Energy Akron Marathon, Half Marathon, and Team relay.
There are a number of road closures around Main Library for the Akron Marathon. The ones that directly impact Main Library are:
- S. Main St. Between Market St. and Exchange St. – closed 4:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- S. High St. Between Martin Luther King Blvd. and E. Exchange St. – closed 6:50 a.m. – 10:35 a.m.
- Broadway St. Between Martin Luther King Blvd. and E. Exchange St. 7:25 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- Market St. Between Summit St. and Merriman Rd. – closed 8:00 a.m. – 10:35 a.m.
- Market St Between Portage Path and S. Main St (eastbound lanes only) closed 8:45 a.m.-1:10 p.m. This also impacts the Highland Square Branch.
Click here for full list of road closures.