Finding Information About Physicians
- Find background information about physicians?
- Access information to help me choose a physician?
- Learn about physician’s specialties?
Find Background Information about Physicians?
For biographical and professional information about MD’s, DO’s, chiropractic physicians, podiatrists, psychologists and other allied health professionals in Ohio, plus any public disciplinary action initiated and/or taken by the Ohio State Medical Board, start your search here. For information on MD’s and DO’s from all 50 states, register to use the American Medical Association DoctorFinder (after you enter a code and agree to terms). You may search for information either by name/location or by medical specialty/location. Information is available for both AMA members and non-members. As a rule, more info is provided about AMA members; you will need to click through more screens to get to info on non-members.
Access Information to help me Choose a Physician?
Read about practical considerations in an article from MedicineNet.com and/or borrow some suggested books in our collection:
- The Patient’s Playbook: How to Save Your Life and the Lives of Those You Love
- Critical Decisions: How You and Your Doctor Can Make the right Medical Choices Together
- Talking to your doctor : a patient's guide to communication in the exam room and beyond
- You and your doctor : a guide to a healing relationship, with physicians' insights
Learn about Physician’s Specialties?
If you need definitions of physician’s specialties, try this page from PBS’s Nova and/or read detailed descriptions specialties or subspecialties. At both the Ohio Medical Board site and the AMA site, physicians identify their own specialties. At the American Board of Medical Specialties website you can read about how a doctor becomes board certified, see suggestions for how to choose a doctor, and verify a physician’s board certification. You may search by name and location if you have a doctor in mind, or by certification and location if you want to read about more than one doctor. The link to the ABMS directory is only available when in Main Library. You can contact us for help.